GFY, Lenovo. with your Superfish.
I still can't believe what was discovered about Lenovo. They got paid to put low level software that could monitor your online shopping behavior on the machines we bought.
Their financially motivated, questionable ethics resulted in products that somehow passed the simple question of "is the decision to put this software on our products right?". Where was the managerial/executive oversight?
I think I am even more incensed because when I was asked what I thought of Lenovo laptops recently, I said "they are good! I would definitely recommend and buy a Lenovo laptop. the brand has a long rich history of producing good machines". And now you made my opinion look asinine. You turned me into an NTAC. You were my go-to Windows-based PC maker after I abandoned Dell. And now I have to find a new PC vendor.
All I can say now is: GFY, Lenovo.
How to neuter your Lenovo so there is less chance of having evil corporation endorsed spyware on your laptop that might steal your private personal information:
1. Buy or find your Lenovo machine.
2. Backup all your personal files.
3. Format the hard drive. Not a quick format. Perform a zero level format. Go get a sandwich.
4. Did I mention to go get a Sandwich. A proper hard drive format is going to take a while.
5. Reinstall the operating system, and use as many generic, well-known, well-tested drivers as possible.
6. Reinstall all your most important software.
7. Restore your personal files.
8. Try never to buy Lenovo again.
Like my dad always said to his adventurous son:
p.s. the image is me unveiling my new birthday present last year...